What to do in June 2020
June is the start of a very busy period for bonsai, with many time sensitive activities:
· Clean and disinfect your benches.
· Remove dead leaves from pots and under benches as they encourage re-infestation of Summer’s pests, put down bait for slugs and snails.
· Check that drainage holes are clear and that your pot is draining properly if not angle it on a wooden block making sure it is secure, and then correct the problem in Spring.
· Spray Lime Sulphur twice, at weekly intervals, 35ml per 1litre, cover unglazed pots I don’t spray my evergreens as some people do, because I don’t like the awful colouring the lime sulphur tends to leave on the trees. I prefer to use Rosecare, Seizer + Eco Oil, Koinor or Plant Care.
· If you develop Black Algae on your soil surface Copper Oxychloride WP works well without killing the moss.
· Don’t let moss get anywhere near acacia, pine or cork bark elm trunks.
· Time to shoot select and needle pluck multi flush pines and embark on a feeding program to build them up before candle pruning in December. Adelgids and mites seem very prevalent. I use the chemicals mentioned above in point 4.
· Time to reassess the design of your deciduous bonsai, transition your branches from thick too thin to give you better taper, remove unnecessary growth, wire carefully.
· Dead head azaleas (once the flowers have died remove them).
· Check watering, Bonsai are extremely sensitive to drought and cold.
· Potting time is soon here so gather all you may need and prepare your soil mixture.